Towne East, Towne West, or Chester I Lewis Adult Learning Center
ANNUAL NOTICE TO PARENTS
AUTHORIZED STUDENT DATA DISCLOSURES
Certain student data of Unified School District No. 259 students is stored and maintained in statewide longitudinal data systems. A law was passed in 2014 that requires school districts to provide annual notice to parents concerning when a school district is allowed to disclose student data maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system to third parties.
Under the 2014 law, a school district may disclose student data that is maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system to:
- Authorized personnel of an educational agency or the state board of regents who require disclosure to perform assigned duties, and
- The student and the parent or legal guardian of the student, provided the data pertains solely to the student.
In addition, student data maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system may be disclosed to authorized personnel of any state agency or to a service provider of a state agency, educational agency, or school performing instructions, assessment or longitudinal reporting, provided a data-sharing agreement between the educational agency and other state agency or service provider provides the following:
- Purpose, scope and duration of data-sharing agreement
- Recipient of student data uses such information solely for the purposes specified in the agreement
- Student data will be destroyed when no longer necessary for purposes of the data-sharing agreement or upon expiration of the agreement, whichever occurs first.
A service provider engaged to perform a function of instruction may be allowed to retain student transcripts maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system as required by applicable laws and rules and regulations.
Unless an adult student or parent or guardian of a minor student provides written consent to disclose personally identifiable student data maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system, such student data may only be disclosed to a governmental entity not specified above or any public or private audit and evaluation or research organization if the data is aggregate data. “Aggregate data” means data collected or reported at the group, cohort or institutional level and which contains no personally identifiable student data.
The district may disclose:
- Student directory information maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system when necessary and the student’s parent or legal guardian has consented in writing
- Directory information maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system to an enhancement vendor providing photography services, class ring services, yearbook publishing services, memorabilia services or similar services
- Any student data information from a statewide longitudinal data system requiring disclosure pursuant to state statutes
- Student data maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system pursuant to any lawful subpoena or court order directing such disclosure
- Student data maintained in a statewide longitudinal data system to a public or private postsecondary educational institution for purposes of application or admission of a student to such postsecondary educational institution with the student’s written consent.